Monday, February 9, 2009

The Kali Yuga.

One of the themes of Mahabharata is the world slipping into the Kali Yuga -- the "Age of Kali" or "Vice." The Mahabharata is a story of war and succession -- the Kali Yuga warns of people disregarding their Dharma in favor of greed and avarice. Lust, and murder will become commonplace, and families will be split apart.

In my confusion, I had associated this with Kālī (Durga), and after some research later found the "Kali" of Kali Yuga to be a completely different entity all-together.

I blame that, in part, to my perhaps misguided view of Kālī, stemming from books and movies where She is portrayed as a chaotic Goddess of Death and Destruction and little else -- as opposed to a prominent figure in Shaktiism.

In that respect, I find Kālī similar to the Goddess Hecate. Perhaps no more evil than Mankind itself -- a necessary balance. A darkness to light; winter to summer; yin and yang.

2 comments:

  1. I would have never known there was a difference if you hadn't posted this. It is interesting to put a different spin on the goddess. But I don't see how you compare her to Hecate. I get that they both have had tarnished reputations. However, Hecate was a goddess that could see the heavens, the earth, and the underworld. She was balance but I don't think her good or evil depended on mankind. Instead I think she was very constant.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I dont think Kali is "bad" in the sense of how we may perceive something that is described with that word. From my understanding in Hinduism they see the gods and demons ("good" and "bad") as both necessary. So I agree that Kali is like the balancing of the equation of good and bad or dark and light. Although Kali may be seen as bad, she was initially created to stop one of the most feared demons. Her creation allowed for a "bad" thing to be destroyed but to balance this she inturn became the new "bad" thing. Kali is also the necessary evil in Shakti. Parvati, Gauri, and Durga all represent the strong, caring, and good in women. Nothing is all good nor all bad but both and Kali completes the needed bad part to which the other 3 provide the good.

    ReplyDelete